Friday 9 March 2012

Filming shoot 2


For my second shoot I wanted to get the black background so I decided to film in the drama studio of our school which is really useful as within the drama studio it has its own lighting rig with theatre lights if I wanted to use them. It turns out I didn’t need them as the problem was that the light they gave off was to warm and didn’t define Effie enough when she was moving so I used the lights from media which were photographic bulbs so they were much brighter, however that was where I encountered a problem. Out of the three lights that we have two of the bulbs had broken so I ended up with just one light left, and this took up a lot of time as I had to then test to see if the actual lights were broken rather than the bulbs which ended up digging into the little time I had with Effie. With one light, I then had to start filming the shots I needed with only side lighting however this added a really great effect as it made it feel as though she was enticing you in as you want to see more of her face and body when she dances into the light.





 Another problem I encountered was that even though the drama studio was black there were still a lot of scratches on the wall where the paint had come off and also the ceiling was not painted black at all so this limited the amount of low angle shots I could get as it meant you would see the white ceiling in the background, and this would be even more noticeable when it came to editing as the contrast would be put up to keep in likeness with the white section. So I really had to think about where I could move with the camera to get the best shots yet still not get any plug sockets or shafts of light from the fire exit coming into shot. However one thing did occur to me was that if I got just a little of the ceiling in view it won’t matter as when it came to editing I could just scale the size of the shot up so I would still have the angle of the shot but cut out the ceiling as it would have zoomed in slightly.









In this shoot Effie is wearing the white dress as I really wanted to give a strong contrast from her tight restricted movements in the photography and the tight black dress, compared to the freedom of movement she has in her white dress but still with the element of the black trapping her like the black dress restricted her movement in the white area the black space restricts the area in which she can move around but with what space she has got she can move much more freely as if she is trying to break out. The reason for having this feel to it is because I find it suits the electro pop genre of music and again those types of dance movements and acting vulnerable really play to capturing an audience which obviously would be a main point to focus when creating my music video.
The cage idea was slightly influenced by the music video Atari teenage riots song blood in my eyes as a cage is featured in that along with some grimy scenes, it inspired me to really go for the vulnerable girl theme whilst at the same time being very seductive and having the cage allowed me to express that by giving Effie the direction to reach out of the cage towards the camera so it would feel as if she was reaching out to you as an audience member to help her yet at the same time I would have some high angle shots to then bring out the feeling of the audience in power which would then emphasise Effie’s seductive facial expressions. The aim was that at no point would the audience loose interest or stop looking at her and hopefully wanting her as it Is proven to be successful by appearing to the male gaze theory as that is half your audience covered along with the fact that some women could watch and be influenced to be like her, therefore covering both sexes of my audience.






No comments:

Post a Comment